Saturday 20 August 2016

gentiles - Would a non-Jew wearing the Star of David together with a cross be offensive?


I am not Jewish, although I come from a Jewish heritage. My great-grandmother was Jewish. I have, since childhood, found the religion fascinating, even though my belief in Jesus has firmly placed me in the Christian camp.


However; I recently purchased a Star of David that has a cross in it, which I love because to me it represents my Jewish heritage and my Christian religion. It has led to interesting questions and, because the cross is small, assumptions that I am Jewish.


I just wonder if a Jewish person would find it offensive and if I would be offending someone by wearing it?



Answer



Assuming it was your father's Mother's Mother or some combination thereof who was Jewish, then it might be best for you to find a Large cross with a small Jewish star. The Jewelry you currently have has strong associations with "Messianic Jews", or "Jews for Jesus", both groups which are roundly rejected by Jewish groups as being either an oximoron or deceptive.


If you do identify with that Christian group however, then perhaps the jewelry is acceptable. However it would be offensive to Jewish persons.


Something like this or this, might seem less offensive and cause less confusion, or even something a bit more artistic like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...