Saturday 6 June 2015

grammar - Can the particle "no" sometimes be omitted?


It seems to me that sometimes the "no" that should be between two nouns is omitted. if so, can this be done in any case or are there special cases?



For example, a case where I think there should be a "no" particle is this



Birusu-sei de shugyō kaishi da!



I translate this as "It's the training's start in Birusu's planet" (correct me if I'm wrong), and if I would have to write this back for me I would add a "no" to read



Birusu-sei de shugyō no kaishi da!



A similar phrase it's seen to use the "no"




Gokū wa shugyō no tabi he!?"



Why? Is it optional?



Answer



Some nouns tend to directly follow arbitrary nouns without any particle and form longer noun phrases. 開始 (kaishi) is one of such nouns, while 旅 is not (although there are several fixed noun + 旅 compounds). See my previous answer for other examples: the omission of an implied "の" creates the appearance of a 四字熟語{よじじゅくご}?


"Birusu-sei de shugyō no kaishi da!" is grammatically fine, but I feel this no should be omitted. That is partly because this is a subtitle (which should generally be short) and partly because this is a vigorous colloquial sentence where particles tend to be omitted.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...