Thursday 4 June 2015

conjugations - What exactly does an adjective stem + そう mean?


The other day I posted a picture of some food on Facebook, and I noticed that all of my Japanese friends were saying 「おいしそう」. I made a good guess to what it meant, but I wasn't certain what exactly they were saying. I've seen this stem+そう with other i-adjectives too, such as 楽しそう, but none of this is covered in any of my Japanese books.


What exactly is this? Is it slang? Can it be used with na-adjectives or nouns too? If so how? Thanks! :)



Answer



[See this question, which deals with the same pattern when used with verbs. I'll adapt my answer from that question to answer yours.]


-そう after the stem of a adjective means "looking/sounding as if ___." おいしそう means "it looks as if it will be delicious." It is similar to constructions like おいしいみたい or おいしいよう, but -そう emphasizes evidence of the senses rather than general "seeming."



Contrast it with おいしいそう, which means "it is said to be delicious."


You can use -そう with verbs, adjectives, and some na-adjectives, but not with nouns. Here are some na-adjective examples:



  • 駄目そう (looks like it's no good)

  • 丈夫そう (sturdy-looking)

  • 元気そう (peppy-looking)

  • 大変そう (Sounds rough!)


You can also use the -そう phrase itself as a na-adjective:




  • おいしそうなケーキ (a delicious-looking cake)


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...