Tuesday 12 May 2015

set phrases - What is that thing yelled in Japanese when starting something?


When starting some activity, I've heard something like 'Se..inou... ' (I'm not sure what are the specific words for this). The context for this word I'd think is pretty much the same as when saying 1,2,3 start! in English.


Actually, is it just some sound or is it a word? Is there a story behind this?



Answer



It is used to do something simultaneously. "Together on 2... one, two!"


「せーの」 is used the most.


You can hear せーのーで or いっせーの for 3 "beats"


Variations will apparently depend on regions and dialects, but 「せーの」looks like a national standard.



The stories and origins are multiple and vague. I'll just list what I've heard:



  • いっせーの comes from the French "Hisser" used by French soldiers during the Meiji Restoration.

  • いっせーの comes from the word 一斉に meaning simultaneously

  • Or simply comes from 一、二の三 (1, 2, three!)


I cannot confirm which one is the real origin or if there are others...


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...