Thursday 28 May 2015

tefilla - How precisely oriented towards Jerusalem should we face for praying?


I know we're supposed to face towards Jerusalem when praying/davening. For most of us in the Europe or the Western Hemisphere, we're used to facing "Mizrach", east.


How precise should we be? If I'm in Hotzenplotz and a straight line to Jerusalem is 5 degrees south of east, do I just face east, or 5 degrees south of east?


Similarly, if my house isn't strictly compass-oriented (e.g. it faces an avenue in Manhattan, 29 degrees east of north), do I daven towards a corner, or just pick the wall in the room that's most oriented towards Jerusalem?





No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...