Tuesday 5 May 2015

aqueous solution - Saturation of multiple solutes


Can a liquid which is saturated with a single solute, dissolve a different solute, or is saturation a universal thing? I ask because I’ve seen that different solutes have different points (amounts) at which they become saturated in water, for example, which caused me to think that maybe each solution was perhaps independent, even though that would produce some interesting extreme implications. Something like, take a water & sucrose mix that is saturated; can this mixture then dissolve salt?


The specific implication I am asking about is this: If I dissolve xylitol (a sugar alcohol) in water until it is saturated (200 g xylitol to 100 g water at 25 °C / 77 °F) can I then dissolve erythritol (a different sugar alcohol) into the solution?


Obviously, we could heat the liquid and enter super-saturation, but that’s not what I’m asking. I’m asking if this can be done without super-saturating (i.e. risking precipitation/crystallization) once cooled.




Answer



Different solutes in the same solution indeed can affect each others' solubility. One example where this effect can be used to advantage is the "salting out" of a protein from water solution. Adding a salt (ammonium sulfate is especially good for this purpose) reduces the solubility of the protein in water, causing it to precipitate or crystallize out. Salting out can also be used to more fully separate an organic solvent from water. I imagine that in your example with the sugar alcohols, adding one component to water will reduce the solubility of the second component by a similar degree. But there may be cases where one solute increases the solubility of another.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...