Thursday 14 May 2015

stoichiometry - More than one way of balancing a chemical equation


My textbook had this question on balancing chemical reactions




Ozone reacts with nitric oxide to give nitrogen dioxide and oxygen gas



Here's how I balanced it: $$\ce{O3 + NO -> NO2 + O2}$$


However I realised that the equation is also balanced if I write it as: $$\ce{2O3 + 4NO -> 4NO2 + O2}$$


and when it is written as: $$\ce{3O3 + NO -> NO2 + 4O2}$$


This seems wrong as I am sure that there cannot be more than one way of balancing a reaction but I do not have a satisfactory explanation. What is going wrong here?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...