Friday 12 June 2015

Audio interface or External sound card?


I want to create a microphone array that can be connected to my laptop. Previous discussions in stack exchange and other forums suggested me to get a USB audio interface. I would want to do a lot of real time signal processing on the sound arriving at the microphones (To be precise, I want to calculate the time delay of arrival of sound at the different microphones). But from what I saw, the audio interfaces are a bit expensive. But external sound cards are not! Here:


http://www.ebay.com/bhp/external-sound-card-for-laptop


Can I use an external sound card to receive input from multiple microphone (create an array, that is).


I will require 4 mics, but right now I need to do it with only 2 mics to test the algorithms. Sampling rate would be around 40Khz.



Answer



Sound card == audio interface


The only difference is that the name "audio interface" is usually used for pro audio equipment. On the other hand, "sound card" usually refers to consumer audio.


Currently there are no cheap multi-input audio interfaces. You may want to check out second hand market, but even there USB and 1394 interfaces are expensive.



The only cheap solution that comes to my mind is to use multiple stereo-input interfaces and synchronize theirs clocks using SPDIF. Then you can link them on Linux (in asoundrc) or Mac OS. I don't know if it's possible on Windows.


However, I have never tried synchronizing clocks using SPDIF myself.


Without synchronizing clocks you need to use resampling which is computationally expensive and can degrade quality. alsa_in and alsa_out tools for Linux/JACK can do this. But they're usable only if you don't need accurate timing as they don't do latency compensation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...